Hello reader! We hope you’ve abandoned your New Year’s resolutions for a healthy diet by now so that you can fully enjoy our Pokémon recipes 😉 This week we’re bringing you a bit of a specialist recipe in that you’ll need a waffle iron for it; we’re making Sandshrew & Sandslash waffles! We thought the pattern of Sandshrew’s skin/hide/whateveryoucallit looks a bit like a waffle, and since Bakémon Master Siobhán recently acquired a waffle iron we decided to roll with that idea and evolve the Sandshrew waffles to Sandslash waffles by piping in chocolate ganache spikes. Yum. If you don’t have a waffle iron we suppose you could buy waffles in the shop but they definitely won’t be as nice! It doesn’t take too long anyway, and is a bit like making pancakes so it’s relatively simple. Makes both an indulgent breakfast or an ideal dessert.
- 10 waffles
- ~ 1 regularly sized jar of ganache
- 1 medium, 1 large bowl
- balloon whisk
- waffle iron
- chocolate melting bowl
For the waffles:
- 250 g (2 cups, 9 oz) flour (all purpose/cream flour)
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 170 g (3/4 cup, 6 oz) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml (1 1/2 cups) warm milk
- 80 g (1/3 cup, 3 oz) butter (melted)
For the ganache:
- 200g (7 oz) dark chocolate (70%)
- 150ml (2/3 cup) double cream
If you make the waffles first, they’ll be gone cold by the time the ganache is ready, so make the ganache first. Also, I (Siobhán) make ganache the wrong way, but it always turns out fine.
- Break the chocolate into medium sized chunks and put it in your chocolate melting bowl.
- Pour the cream in on top of the chocolate.
- Heat the chocolate and cream over a saucepan of simmering water, as if you were just melting chocolate.
- Stir until all the chocolate has melted and the cream and chocolate are fully combined.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Break the chocolate into very small pieces and put it in a heatproof bowl.
- Heat the cream up to boiling point.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate pieces.
- Stir like crazy til all the chocolate melts and the cream and chocolate are fully combined.
- Leave to cool.
For the waffles:
- Pre-heat your waffle iron to your desired setting.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into the large bowl, and mix in the salt and sugar.
- In the medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs with the balloon whisk.
- Whisk in the warm milk and butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and mix well.
- When the waffle iron is ready, pour as much batter as your waffle iron requires onto the waffle iron plates and bake your waffles.
- When sufficiently browned for your taste, enjoy your waffles!
To evolve your Sandshrew waffles into Sandslashes:
- Fill a sandwich bag/disposable icing bag with chocolate ganache and snip off the tip of the bag.
- Pipe chocolate spikes into each waffle hole.
- Devour the chocolatey-waffley goodness.
Om nom nom! Hope you enjoyed the delicious waffles, I (Nicole) am really craving waffles again now…hmm…
See you next week!